Here are 8 health benefits raw honey has to offer:
* Most of the honey you find in grocery stores is pasteurized. * The high heat kills unwanted yeast, can improve the color and texture, removes any crystallization, and extends the shelf life.
1. The polyphenols in honey may be able to counterTrusted Source inflammation in the hippocampus, the part of the brain involved in memory.
2. Raw honey’s nutrition content varies by its origin and other factors. Generally, one tablespoon or 21 grams of raw honey containsTrusted a Source of 64 calories and 17 grams of sugar.
3. Honey’s effectiveness as an antibacterial or antifungal varies depending on the honey, but some varieties are being studied for specific therapeutic uses such as against Candida-associated infections.
4. honey has antimicrobial properties. A 2017 review of studiesTrusted Source also suggested that honey, propolis, and royal jelly may have potential health benefits for microbial inhibition and wound healing.
5. The phytonutrients in honey are responsible Trusted Source for its antioxidant properties, as well as its antibacterial and antifungal power.
6. Honey is sometimes used to treat digestive issues such as diarrhea It may have potential as a treatment for Helicobacter pylori bacteria, though, a common cause of stomach ulcers.
7. Honey is an old sore throat remedy that soothes the ache and can help with coughs. Add it to hot tea with lemon when a cold virus hits.
8. Raw honey contains an array of plant chemicals that act as antioxidants. Some types of honey have as many antioxidants as fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants help to protect your body from cell damage due to free radicals.