The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner’s Guide to Keto
Here is a detailed beginners' guide to the keto diet.
*The ketogenic diet (or keto diet, for short) is a low carb, high fat diet that offers many health benefits.
*In fact, many studies show that this type of diet can help you lose weight and improve your health .
*Ketogenic diets may even have benefits against diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s disease.
1. The keto diet is a low carb, high fat diet. It lowers blood sugar and insulin levels and shifts the body’s metabolism away from carbs and toward fat and ketones.
2. There are several versions of the keto diet. The standard (SKD) version is the most researched and most recommended.
3. Ketosis is a metabolic state in which your body uses fat for fuel instead of carbs. Modifying your diet and practicing intermittent fasting can help you enter ketosis faster.
4. A ketogenic diet can help you lose slightly more weight than a low fat diet. This often happens with less hunger.
5. The ketogenic diet can boost insulin sensitivity and cause fat loss, leading to significant health benefits for people with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.
6. A ketogenic diet may provide many health benefits, especially with metabolic, neurological, or insulin-related diseases.
7. Avoid carb-based foods like grains, sugars, legumes, rice, potatoes, candy, juice, and even most fruits.
8. Base the majority of your diet on foods such as meat, fish, eggs, butter, nuts, healthy oils, avocados, and plenty of low carb veggies.
9. You can eat a wide variety of tasty and nutritious meals on a ketogenic diet. It’s not all meats and fats. Vegetables are an important part of the diet.
10.Great snacks for a keto diet include pieces of meat, cheese, olives, boiled eggs, nuts, raw veggies, and dark chocolate.
11. Reading food labels, planning your meals ahead, and bringing your own foods when visiting family and friends can make it much easier to stick to the ketogenic diet.
12. When eating out, select a meat-, fish-, or egg-based dish. Order extra veggies instead of carbs or starches, and have cheese for dessert.
Click to explore
10 Natural Ways to Balance Your Hormones