Top 9 Foods Most Likely to Cause
Here are the top 9 foods that are most likely to cause food poisoning.
* Food poisoning happens when people consume food that is contaminated with harmful bacteria, parasites, viruses or toxins.
Also known as foodborne illness, it can cause a range of symptoms, most commonly stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and loss of appetite.
1. Raw and undercooked poultry is a common source of food poisoning. To reduce your risk, thoroughly cook chicken, duck and turkey meat.
2. Vegetables and leafy greens can often carry harmful bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella and Listeria. To reduce your risk
3. Fish and shellfish are a common source of food poisoning due to the presence of histamine and toxins.
4. Rice is a high-risk food due to Bacillus cereus. Spores of this bacterium can live in uncooked rice, and can grow and multiply once rice is cooked.
5. Deli meats including ham, salami and hot dogs can be contaminated with bacteria that cause food poisoning.
6. Pasteurization involves heating foods and liquids to kill harmful microorganisms such as bacteria.
7. Raw and undercooked eggs can carry Salmonella bacteria. Choose pasteurized eggs when possible and avoid eggs that have cracked or dirty shells.
8. Fruits carry a high risk of food poisoning, particularly melon and berries. Always wash fruit before eating and eat freshly cut fruit right away or store it in the fridge.
9. Sprouts grow in moist, warm conditions and are an ideal environment for the growth of bacteria. Cooking sprouts can help reduce the risk of food poisoning.
* Food poisoning is an illness caused by eating food contaminated with bacteria, viruses or toxins.
Click to explore
12 EVIDENCE-BASED HEALTH BENEFITS OF MAGNESIUM