Top 6 Benefits of Taking Collagen Supplements
Here are 6 science-backed health benefits of taking collagen.
As a wrestler in high school, I always used a whey protein concentrate to promote muscle recovery and growth after workouts.
Fast forward to college quit wrestling and took up bodybuilding but still stuck with a whey protein concentrate after my workouts.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body. You can increase your intake of collagen by taking supplements or eating animal foods and bone broth.
1. Collagen is a major component of your skin. It plays a role in strengthening skin, as well as in elasticity and hydration.
As you age, your body produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and the formation of wrinkles.
2. Collagen helps maintain the integrity of your cartilage, the rubber-like tissue that protects your joints.
3. Your bones are made mostly of collagen, which gives them structure and strength (10Trusted Source).
Just as the collagen in your body deteriorates with age, so does bone mass. This may lead to conditions such as osteoporosis,
4. May boost muscle mass As the most abundant protein in the body, collagen is an important component of skeletal muscle
5. May promote heart health Researchers have theorized that collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of heart conditions.
6. Other health benefits Collagen supplements may have other health benefits, but these haven’t been studied extensively.
Click to explore
7 Great Reasons to Add Dragon Fruit to Your Diet