11 Surprising Benefits and Uses of Black Rice
Here are 11 benefits and uses of black rice.
Black rice gets its signature black-purple color from a pigment called anthocyanin, which has a potent antioxidant.
* In ancient China, it’s said that black rice was considered so unique and nutritious that it was forbidden for all but royalty
1. Black rice is a good source of several nutrients, particularly protein, fiber, and iron.
2. Research shows that black rice contains over 23 types of antioxidants and has the highest antioxidant activity of all rice varieties.
3. Anthocyanin is a pigment that’s responsible for the black-purple color of forbidden rice. It’s also been found to have potent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anticancer effects.
4. Black rice contains antioxidants that have been shown to help protect against heart disease.
5. Early research suggests that the anthocyanins in black rice may have strong anticancer properties, but more studies are needed.
6. Black rice contains the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, both of which have been shown to protect your retina from potentially damaging free radicals.
7. Black rice is naturally gluten-free and can be a good option for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
8. Given that black rice is a good source of protein and fiber, it may aid weight loss.
9. While more research is needed, black rice may help lower blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes and reduce the risk of NAFLD.
10. Black rice is prepared similarly to other types of rice and can be added to a variety of savory and sweet dishes.
11. while animal studies have suggested that anthocyanins may have benefits for weight loss, more research in humans is needed.
Click to explore
8 Impressive Health Benefits of Apples