8 Health Benefits
Here are 8 health benefits of fasting- backed by science.
Despite its recent surge in popularity, fasting is a practice that dates back centuries and plays a central role in many cultures and religions.
Defined as the abstinence from all or some foods or drinks for a set period of time, there are many different ways of fasting.
1. Intermittent fasting and alternate-day fasting could help decrease blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance but may affect men and women differently.
2. Some studies have found that fasting could decrease several markers of inflammation and may be useful in treating inflammatory conditions, such as multiple sclerosis.
3. Fasting has been
associated with a lower risk of coronary heart disease and may help lower blood
pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
4. Animal studies show that fasting could improve brain function, increase nerve cell synthesis and protect against neurodegenerative conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s.
5. Fasting may increase metabolism and help preserve muscle tissue to reduce body weight and body fat.
6. Studies show that
fasting can increase levels of human growth hormone (HGH), an important protein
hormone that plays a role in growth, metabolism, weight loss and muscle
7. Animal studies have found that fasting could delay aging and increase longevity, but human research is still lacking.
8. Some animal and test-tube studies suggest that fasting could block tumor development and increase the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
Click to explore
chia seeds for weight loss 2022