9 Symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa
Here are 9 common signs and symptoms of anorexia.
* There are two types of the disorder: restrictive type and binge eating/purging type.
* Anorexia nervosa, commonly called anorexia, is a serious eating disorder in which a person adopts unhealthy and extreme methods to lose weight or avoid gaining weight.
1. Purging is the practice of self-induced vomiting or the use of certain medications to reduce calories, avoid food absorption and lose weight.
2. Excessive concern about food is a hallmark of anorexia. Practices may include logging food intake and eliminating certain food
3. Mood swings and symptoms of anxiety, depression, perfectionism and impulsivity are commonly found in people with anorexia.
4. The practice of body checking increases body dissatisfaction and promotes food-restrictive behaviors.
5. Excessive exercise is a common symptom of anorexia, and people with anorexia may feel intense guilt if they miss a workout.
6. A constant fear of gaining weight can cause people with anorexia to refuse food and deny hunger.
7. Anorexia can lead to various eating habits that can bring a sense of control and reduce anxiety often caused by food.
8. Anorexia can lead to the abuse of alcohol and certain drugs to help decrease food intake or calm anxiety and fear towards food.
9. Extreme weight loss is a significant sign of anorexia, such as when body weight drops below 15% of the expected weight
Click to explore
12 daily habits that will help you lose weight while you sleep